Apartment Living: Create the Perfect Outdoor Space
Apartment renting is definitely different than living in a sprawling county estate, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the outdoors in your own little slice of nature, however big that may be.
Even if your balcony or patio is tiny, there is so much you can do to create a unique space. And now that the weather is nice, you will want to be out there all the time.
Related: How To Be a Good Neighbor: Apartment Renting
Awesome Apartment Balconies
Balconies are notorious for having minimal floor space, so don’t be afraid to tie in the railing and the walls for creative use.
- Hang flower boxes on the railing to free up space. Include some vines or draping plants to create a sense of privacy.
- Herbs are easy to grow on a balcony and provide fresh ingredients to your cooking.
- A railing mounted table that can easily be folded down when not in use is excellent.
- Place a shelf against a wall to put more plants on.
- A small comfy couch or arm chair will provide long hours of relaxation.
- A small table and two chairs creates the perfect place for morning coffee or an evening cocktail.
- An outdoor rug can be festive and comfortable too! This might also give you a little more privacy from the balcony below yours.
Awesome Apartment Patios
If you live on the ground floor and have a patio, you might have a little more space to work with than a balcony.
- Create some privacy with some curtains, roller shades, or well placed large plants.
- Don’t keep anything valuable outside if there is easy access to your patio. Also, be sure to keep your patio door locked when you aren’t home.
- Just like with a balcony, plants, flowers, and herbs make the space more inviting and filled with nature.
- Seating in any outdoor space is essential. It just depends on whether you have room for a tiny table and one chair, or big comfy sofas and lounges.
- You can create cheap and easy seating by putting cushions on milk crates. Turn the crates on their sides with the opening facing out for storage.
Follow The Rules
Before you spend a lot of money or effort in creating the perfect outdoor apartment space, be sure to check with your landlord or leasing agent regarding any rules or restrictions you may have on what you can do and what you can keep outside.
Check out some great short term rental properties in Boston for some great ideas on creating the perfect outdoor space.